Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Altered Notebook


As Brianna approaches young lady-hood, I am seeking new ways to keep our communication open. I have been wanting to make one of these for a while. Since we cleaned the house this morning I didn't feel so guilty dragging out the crafting stuff this afternoon!

First, I took an ordinary, every day spiral notebook. They are on sale for 15 cents now for back-to-school. Then I took a pair of pliers and bent the ends open and wound the wire out of the notebook. I set the paper and backing aside so that I just had the cover.




Then I gathered my papers, stamps and ink, and frillies together.





I cut a piece of scrapbook paper the same size as the cover. I attached it to the cover with scrapbook adhesive. Then I punched tiny holes in the side of the cover using a tiny hole punch. I put the cover on top of the notebook and wound the wire back into the notebook.





Then I took more papers, the stamps and the flowers and decorated the cover.










Brianna is thrilled with it and so am I! I am planning on using this as a way for us to ask each other questions and for me to share scripture verses with her. I am sure she'll want to glean wisdom from her wizened mother! Ha ha ha!
It was a fun, easy project, and since I had all the materials it was free! Can't beat that!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Great idea! I remember that you and Marshall used to write back and forth on notebooks when you were on opposite shifts.

Sheryl Slot said...

Ha ha! I had forgotten about that! I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated a flowered up notebook like this one!!

Elena said...

What a fun idea! I like the way you re-fashioned the notebook.

Not the Waltons said...

Pretty neat, Sheryl! I am sure that this will be something wonderful to look back on in later years as well. Too neat!